Potato Curry is one of the most famous vegetarian dishes in Trinidad. I cooked a Trini Lunch for a few of our family and friends and this was an absolute hit. This recipe is for all those of you who asked for it that day :).Potato Curry goes well with Dhalpuris which are rotis stuffed with seasoned channa dal but taste just as well with chappatis, rotis or naans. Bon Appetite :)
3 potatoes peeled and cubed
1 tbsp Kala Brand Madras Curry Powder
2-3 cloves garlic grated
1/4 cup seasoning (see below for ingredients)
1 1/2 cups of water
Salt to taste
1 celery stalk
2 cups cilantro
2 cloves garlic peeled
3 green chillies
Method for seasoning:
1. Grind all ingredients for seasoning together in a blender.
2. Put aside 1/4 cup and put the rest in a bottle or a zip lock bag and can be used to make stewed soya chunks or channa masala.
Method for Potato Curry:
1. Heat oil in a low based pan on medium heat.
2. Take 1 tbsp of curry powder and put it in a bowl, add grated garlic and water and make into a paste.
3. Add paste into pan and saute until it cooks (1-2 mins).
4. Add 1/4 cup of seasoning and mix.
5. Add cubed potatoes and mix well.
6. Add salt, mix well and cover for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
7. Add water and mix and cover.
8. Stir occasionally until potatoes cook, add water if necessary.
9. Cook until gravy thickens and taste. Add salt if necessary. Serve hot.